The 2022 January transfer window is open and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where.
TOP STORY: Newcastle lead five-club chase for Alli
The Magpies had also made an approach for Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard to play in the same position, but, according to The Athletic, that move is on the verge of collapse. That could be where Alli comes in, fulfilling the role of a creative midfielder under Eddie Howe, as he looks to steer the club away from the relegation battle.
It remains to be seen exactly where Alli’s future lies, though it seems that he will leave Tottenham in the next week.
08.44 GMT: Ajax right-back Noussair Mazraoui says he is likely to leave the club in the coming months.
Mazraoui, 24, has a contract which expires in the summer and the Morocco international has been linked with Arsenal, Leeds, Barcelona and Roma.
“I think the chances of me remaining at Ajax are very small, maybe 5%,” he told ESPN NL. “I am open for something new, I have played here for 16 years and I think it’s a good moment to leave.”
08.37 GMT: ICYMI – Manchester City are close to sealing a deal for River Plate forward Julian Alvarez, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
City believe they have seen off competition from AC Milan for the 21-year-old Argentinian with the final details to be ironed out before an agreement is reached. Sources have told ESPN the overall cost of the transfer could be less than £20m.
It is likely that Alvarez, who has already been capped five times by Argentina, won’t move to the Etihad Stadium until next summer at the earliest but sources have told ESPN he would be considered a first-team signing.
Until he is ready to move to England, City will consider loaning him back to River Plate or arranging another loan elsewhere.
08.25 GMT: FC Basel striker Arthur Cabral is the No. 1 candidate to replace Dusan Vlahovic at Fiorentina and, according to ESPN Brasil, the Italian club’s €14m offer is acceptable to them.
Vlahovic, 21, is expected to join Juventus before the transfer window closes for a reported €75m. The Serbia striker, who has been in sensational form this season, is keen to join the Turin giants and has turned down interest from Arsenal.
Fiorentina have offered Basel €14m plus €2m in add-ons to sign Arthur, who has been a reported target of Barcelona and Burnley, and the Brazilian is expected to negotiate personal terms in the coming days.
Arthur, 23, has scored 27 goals in 31 games this season and earned his first call up to Brazil’s senior squad in October. He joined Basel from Palmeiras in a €7m transfer in 2019.
08.00 GMT: Manchester United striker Anthony Martial has joined Sevilla on loan.
The France international will spend the rest of the season with the Spanish side, who sit second in the LaLiga table behind leaders Real Madrid.
The deal is a loan with no option to make the move permanent and no fee, with Sevilla covering Martial’s salary after he agreed to a wage cut.
Martial asked to leave Old Trafford in December after struggling for opportunities this season.
Steve Nicol expresses his concern about Anthony Martial, and is convinced that his transfer to Sevilla is a big gamble.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Luke Thrower)
– Newcastle have made an offer for Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, reports L’Equipe. The report claims the Magpies have offered €40m for the Brazilian midfielder, who has been linked with many top European clubs. Manager Howe is hoping to bolster his squad in the last week of January, having already spent £37m on two players already.
– Chelsea are hoping to land Bayern Munich defender Niklas Sule, says journalist Ekrem Konur. The 26-year-old is out of contract in the summer and is now allowed to agree to a pre-contract with clubs abroad. Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel is said to be keen on the centre-back, with talks ongoing.
– Barcelona have made a contract offer to sign Franck Kessie on a free transfer, according to Nicolo Schira. The AC Milan midfielder is set to become a free agent in the summer, with his deal with the Rossoneri expiring. Schira claims that the Blaugrana have offered him a five-year contract, which would earn him €8m per year.
– Ronald Araujo has rejected an opening contract extension offer from Barcelona, alerting two Premier League clubs to a move. According to Marca, the Uruguay centre-back has turned down the offer, with Barca looking to extend his existing deal beyond its 2023 expiration. As a result, both Chelsea and Manchester United are said to be monitoring the situation.
– Bayern Munich are in talks to sign Borussia Monchengladbach defender Matthias Ginter, says Nicolo Schira. The 28-year-old is out of contract in the summer and he has already stated he won’t sign an extension as he looks to move on. Bayern are reported to have had talks to sign him, offering a four-year deal.